SEO is a constantly-changing field, and it takes a lot of work to keep up with all the latest search engine developments. Google makes hundreds of algorithm updates to their search engine every year, sometimes several per day!
Best SEO Blogs
This page lists some of the best SEO blogs and resources that keep us informed about the latest trends in the SEO and online marketing world. First off, let’s list some of the top SEO Web sites and blogs according to SEOMoz’s Rand Fishkin:
- SearchEngineLand – Essential news about the search industry as well as some fairly good articles about tactical search marketing
- Moz – Extremely well-referenced, consistently high in quality
- SEOBook – Many rants about the search world and the players in it, but hidden in many of those posts is excellent analysis of how the market operates. When tactical/marketing posts do appear here, they are excellent.
- SERoundtable – What’s being discussed in the major forums/sites of the SEO world.
- SearchEngineJournal – A solid mix of articles on tactical and industry moves.
- Distilled – Some excellent breakdowns of strategic and tactical SEO.
- David Naylor – According to Rand Fishkin, David Naylor is one of the world’s most talented SEOs, worth reading.
- Portent – Great web marketing blog with a dash of humor and cathartic condescension mixed with valuable tactics.
- SEO By The Sea – Analysis of the technical end of search engine patents, research papers and trends.
- SEER Interactive – Great tactical/strategic blog with loads of good material.
- State of Digital – Great European SEO blog by Blas Van Den Beld and others.
Best SEO Infographics
SearchEngineLand updated their great Periodic Table of SEO Ranking Factors in June 2015.
Moz published their infographic “How Much Does SEO Cost?” in Dec 2011, and Joshua Steimle published a very detailed piece about the cost of SEO in Sep 2013 for Forbes.
Visual.ly has an infographic of over 200 of Google’s 2014 SEO ranking factors.
Brought to you by Email Marketing Software by Marketo
UnBounce published their “Noob Guide to Online Marketing”, an extremely large and detailed graphic with an accompanying 62-page PDF guide.
Best SEO Guides
Some sites have established detailed mini-guides, which can serve as useful starting points to research particular SEO tasks, or to research particular SEO capabilities of different CMSs, for example.